Sex magick is a rite that you most likely have been practicing for much longer than you realize. The acts of flirting and seducing, playing dress up or role playing, extending, delaying, or even denying orgasm are all part of this powerful form of magick. For whenever we indulge ourselves in such acts, we allow for the perfect union of physical and spiritual forces to be united. By summoning both sensual passion and intense energy of sexuality, we are able to unlock in ourselves creative potential that is most supernal, and-it goes without saying- supremely pleasurable.
In traditions of the East, sex and desire are seen as means of ascension, used to reach the absolute. Hinduist and Buddhist cultures have a wide range of yoga and ritual practices that exercise sexuality. Sexual fluids were regarded as highly powerful substances, and used in ritual both internally and externally. Sex magick in Western culture has its earliest practical teachings recorded by 19th century occultists. Perhaps the most noteworthy was Aleister Crowley, the British occultist and founder of Thelema, who emphasized sex as “the supreme magical power.” While head of the Ordo Templi Orientis, a secret society which espoused his philosophy of individual liberty, he and taught diverse magickal techniques aimed at the solitary practitioner as well as those of various sexual orientations.
While sex magick can and should be a year round practice, there is no better time to practice and perfect yours than springtime. We also acknowledge sex rites that are traditionally performed at Beltane, May 1st. Sex magick also allows you an extraordinary amount of creative freedom. Creating a sensual space with intention is an important component to your ritual explorations.
Here are some suggestions:
- Prepare a cleansing bath with bath salts.
- Sweep out the space with a dedicated broom [not one used for regular cleaning] to clear the energy.
- Cast a circle of dried rose petals around your bed or the space you intend to use.
- Adorn your space with candles, string lights, flowers, sage, and incense.
- Wear lingerie, body paint, or any outfits that indulge and empower you and put you in a body positive mood.
- Anoint a spell candle, petition, or collage [fantasy or boudoir photos make a great addition!] with romantic oils — hibiscus helps to open the heart, vanilla is known for its’ sensuality and inhibition lowering, and both lemon balm and vervain help to attract love.
- If you have a fireplace or fire pit, use these as the center point for your ritual.
Remember what’s most important — to raise your manifestation capacity using sexual energy and at the peak of your session to release that energy in a spell to ask the divine forces to intercede in the life of you, and your partner if applicable.
Whatever magick you create this spring, may it be fiery, sexy, and successful!
Until next time, witches…blessed be!